Are you a chain smoker and you have tried in vain to quit smoking? Are you tired of smoking but just can’t quit because your friends do? What makes it so hard for people to quit smoking even though they know how harmful it is for their health?
More than half of smokers want to quit smoking but fail to do so. One way to initiate a smoke –free life it to understand the harmful effects of smoking and choosing alternatives like E-cigarettes or nicotine patches to help you fight the addiction.
Why is it so challenging to quit smoking?
- Nicotine is extremely addictive and creates mental and emotional dependence. It not only affects your heart and blood vessels and increases your heart rate but also enters your brain and acts as a stimulant.
- It takes roughly 10 seconds for nicotine to reach your brain alleviating your mood and creates a pleasant feeling. The effects of Nicotine last for a few minutes and the feeling of relaxation also fades away causing the smoker to light up another cigarette.
- If you are a chain smoker and you try to quit this habit, you will be experiencing withdrawal symptoms as your body has become dependent on nicotine. The withdrawal symptoms may include symptoms like headache, irritability, headache, insomnia, mood swings, emotional outbursts etc. It’s hard to fight back these withdrawal symptoms and again you start craving for a cigarette. Thus, starting the vicious cycle of trying to quit but, unable to.
- Having a cigarette is also a way to handle stress and anxiety. Whether you are suffering from stress due to personal or professional reasons, smoking is associated with an easy relief to these problems.
Tips to cut back on your addiction
- Consider alternatives like electronic cigarettes. E-cigarettes can help you with quitting your smoking addiction. You can also try the e-cigarette in the comfort of your home or office without the risk of any passive smoking affecting your family or friends. They give the same sensation of smoking a regular cigarette minus the bad smell, tar and side effects. For starters, you would save yourself from getting diseases associated with smoking, bad breath, yellow teeth and you would also stop hearing complaints from your friends and family members. It would be much cheaper on your pocket as well.
- Indulge in physical exercise like walk, yoga or meditation. By exercising even for 30 minutes every day you can improve your mood and alleviate stress. Not only exercise is a good distraction but also helps you stay fit.
- Join a support group or discuss with your friends and family the issues you are facing, sharing your feelings can give you much needed comfort and positivity.
- Drink lots of water, eat healthy and get seven to eight hours of regular sleep. You will not only feel rejuvenated but also have less stress.